Bad breath is one of the biggest turn-offs ever. I know people who absolutely cannot stand a stinking mouth and can walk out amidst a conversation because it is bothering them so much. But isn’t it difficult to always have a fresh breath?
We are out and about the entire day, eating different kinds of foods and drinking beverages, that all lead to bad breath. And if you are a smoker, having a mouth that does not stink feels like a distant dream. If you are one such person, who is always conscious about their breath,
follow these easy tips from dental experts to ensure that your mouth always smells good.
1. Brush your teeth. This is something we have been hearing since the time we had only one tooth. And this is truly the best mantra to have good teeth and maintain overall dental hygiene. If your teeth are clean, you won’t even have bad breath issues. Some people have oral bad odor problems more than others. If you are one such person, you need to brush more often, say after every meal.
2. Along with brushing, flossing is equally important. This is because there are some places between the teeth where food gets stuck and the toothbrush cannot reach there. When you floss, you remove these food particles and also other contaminants that can damage your teeth. Using mouthwash can also ensure that your breath feels fresh.
3. Bacteria get collected on the surface of our tongues, especially the top rough surface. This can also be a reason for bad breath. This is why you must clean your tongue with a tongue cleaner every single day.
4. Avoiding some food items that cause bad breath, like onion and garlic, is also a smart way of controlling bad mouth odor. Also, avoid food and beverages that contain high amounts of sugar as sugar ferments bacteria.
5. Eating certain fruits and vegetables like apples, lettuce, carrots, pears and raw cucumber can aid fresh breath. These also have antioxidants that boost dental health.
6. Chewing gum increases the flow of saliva in the mouth, which washes the bacteria away. Ensure that you chew sugarless gum. Chewing gum is also a good alternative to mints that are full of sugar and hence aid bacteria. Ironical isn’t it?
7. Drinking water throughout the day is a very healthy habit. It has many health benefits; it keeps your skin and hair looking great and also can help battle bad breath. This is because dehydration also causes our breath to smell foul.
8. Avoid drinking a lot of coffee as it not only damages and stains your teeth, but also makes your breath smell funny. Tobacco is also something that you must completely avoid if you want healthy teeth and want to stay cancer-free, of course.
Keeping bad breath away basically requires you to take care of your teeth and gums and maintain good oral hygiene. You must also visit a family dentist in Burlington regularly to make sure that your teeth are healthy, shiny and your breath is pleasant.