Oral hygiene is something that we all are always conscious about. We do not want to be in a situation where we are talking to someone and they instantly turn away. How embarrassing would that be!
Imagine if you are on your first date and after the meal, you are about to experience your first kiss and the constant thing going on in your mind is ‘I shouldn’t have eaten the garlic shrimp’. Well, that does not have to be the case. Here are a few tips for expert dentists that will help you keep your mouth healthy and avoid such uncomfortable situations.
Things you should do
The rule of thumb for good oral hygiene is brushing. Brush thoroughly, twice a day. When you brush, make sure that you are brushing not only your teeth but also your gums. Do not brush very aggressively, though, as this can hurt your teeth and gums and cause bleeding.
1. The second thing you must always remember is flossing. This is something that most of us forget as we do not know how important this small task can be. Simply brushing will not remove the small food particles stuck in between your teeth. Flossing can help remove these and other harmful substances as it reaches way deeper than where you toothbrush bristles can.
2. We all know the many health benefits of consuming milk, but did you know that milk is also good for your teeth? Consuming milk, orange juice, yogurt, broccoli, cheese, and other such dairy products help make the teeth stronger as they contain calcium. Apart from calcium, these food items also contain Vitamin D, which is necessary for maintaining healthy gums and teeth and Vitamin B complex, which protects gums and teeth from cracking and bleeding. Copper, zinc, iodine, iron and potassium, which are responsible for good dental hygiene, are also present in these products.
3. The next step to maintaining oral hygiene is cleaning the surface of your tongue daily. Use a professional tongue cleaner to remove the countless bacteria that live on the rougher top surface of your tongue. These are responsible for bad breath and also have a negative effect on your overall dental health.
Things you should avoid
1. Tobacco not only damages our body internally to a great extent but also ruins our teeth. It leaves the teeth stained and also damaged.
2. Have you ever heard the phrase ‘too much of something is not a good thing’? That is exactly true in the case of coffee and sodas. These beverages have a mineral called phosphorous, which is very good for the teeth. But, the level in these beverages as well as in alcohol is very high and hence can damage the teeth. Some of these liquids also have corn syrup and food dye, which causes discoloration and dullness in teeth.
Apart from these tips, always remember to visit your dentist for regular dental check-ups. Also, if you have a toothache, do not ignore it. You must get it checked immediately at any modern family dentistry so that it does not become a major problem and cause too much damage to your pearly whites.